Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Beaded Monogram Tutorial

Beads are typically not my medium of choice. I guess, if push comes to shove, felt is my favorite material to work with. So, when I learned my first craft challenge in One Crafty Contest was beads, I was definitely outside of my comfort zone. Being the frugal minded {cheap} person I am, I hit the thrift store and found a beautiful vintage silk wrapped beaded necklace and inspiration struck.


Supplies:
BEADS!  Any kind or color will work.  I selected a few {each were $1, in the end, the Tiffany blue beads won me over}
Floral Stem Wire {I tried a hanger, which equally a fail and I tried some electrical wire, which resulted in my cutting my finger open, learn from my mistake and get some floral wire}
Galvanized wire 28 gauge, color silver {really any kind of really bendy wire will work}


Take your necklace apart.  Keep your eyes open for the beads that want to roll away.  Maybe it's just that my house is more slanted than most, almost all my beads tried to escape.  Bend your floral stem wire into the shape of your desired letter.


Cut your galvanized wire, longer than you think you might need.  Wrap the wire several times around the end, to secure it in place and then begin to weave the beads.


With the addition of each new bead, tightly pull the wire and wrap around the floral stem twice to secure the bead in place.


When all of your beads are in place, cut some addition galvanized wire {approximately 2 inches}.  Form it into a loop shape and wrap around the floral stem, between your beads, where you think it will allow your letter to hang evenly.


String some ribbon through your loop.


Hang, display and admire.


Gee...don't you think just about everything is better in the shade of Tiffany blue?  

Link Party Websites


19 comments:

  1. This is really cute!!! I LOVE the Tiffany blue! I was just thinking how sweet this would look in my daughter's room and I think she would dig a project like this. I'm not a beader either but she loves making jewelry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy! This is awesome! I love the Tiffany blue, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, beautiful. I love it! It's great how it just hangs there. The colors are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there ANYTHING that u do that I dont just love? lol Turned out beautiful! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carrie. I only wish your sweet compliment were actually true :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay....seriously.....this is so cute and I just paid $10 for one of these and it wasn't even as cute as yours! I am totally pinning this!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so so cute and so clever!!!! I adore this... and the way you thought to display it just "ROCKS" ... I would have never thought of that!!! Amy, you are one talented lady!!! Soooo cute!!! Thanks for sharing this, this is getting pinned to my boards so I don't lose the idea...

    Carri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carri! Thank goodness for Goodwill for their frames and Home Depot for cheap spray paint.

      Delete
  8. How cute and inspirational!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I guessed it right:D I LOVED your bead project... it was my fave so I would have voted for it even if it wasn't yours;) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured the G for Grace would be a give away for anyone that knows me :). Thank you for the vote and the sweet feedback!

      Delete
  10. Love, love, love this tute! So beautiful, great work! Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! Would love to have you link it at our party.

    http://www.ourdiydiaries.com/2012/05/fab-not-drab-fridays.html

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I have a tilty house too! Those beads will all want to escape under my armoire ... where they will remain until the next time I paint and am forced to actually move the furniture!

    But seriously cute! And I probably woulda glue gunned those suckers and burn my fingertips off!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I voted for it too! (didn't know it was yours at the time!) Yes...everything is better in Tiffany Blue. Saw you at Two Yellow Birds, and the One Crafty Contest and am Happy to be following you via GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats - cant wait to see what is next!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so pretty! I love it! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  16. How pretty, and I love the way you attached the beads, very clever! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This turned out so great! I love the color. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...