Monday, November 4, 2013

Indian Costume

The world of blogging is much like retail. I should be sharing posts about Christmas by now...if not Valentine's Day (I tease). But, instead, I'm sharing Grace's Halloween costume, which, I suppose, could be used for Thanksgiving (Pilgrims and Indians).


Growing up, my Halloween costumes were made by my mom.  Those handmade costumes are a big part of my Halloween memories.

Wanting to create these same memories for Grace, the past few years, I've made her Halloween costumes.

This year, she decided to be an Indian, inspired by Dear Lillie's Indian Costume


This costume was the easiest one I've made to date and didn't cost much more than a store bought costume.

This costume, required me to make a trip to my local fabric/hobby store where I bought 2 different size leather fringe, a yard of each (roughly $9 total).


We bought some real turkey feathers from the local flea market ($2 for 3 feathers).  Back at the fabric store, I bought a package of turquoise beads for $4 to add some color and there I also found a clearanced dollar feather barrette.   


And, last but not least, I bought 5 yards of tulle for $5.  2 yards of a sparkly dark brown and 3 yards of tan.  I also needed some ribbon (enough to fit around Grace's waist and tie closed), which I already had.

 

Every Indian needs a tutu, right?  Well, my little Indian needed a tutu.

To prep for tutu making, I started cutting strips of tulle into 5-6 inch wide sections.


I layered the tulle, 1 section of tan and 1 section of brown.  Loosely knotting the tulle around the ribbon, I maked a no sew tutu.


Your tutu will require scheduling a fitting with your Indian.  By knotting the tulle to ribbon, the tutu will need to be tied on, so make sure you leave enough ribbon on both sides to tie it closed.

When the tutu was complete, I hot glued the 2 inch long leather fringe onto the top of the tulle knots.   


To the center of the tutu, I added the feather barrette and, using fishing line, I strung and secured a turquoise bead.

 

What every Indian does need is a head dress.  Using some fold over elastic, I started by making a headband.


To secure the turkey feathers, I added a 'pocket'.  I sewed 1/2 an inch of no sew elastic on the side of the headband, in the inside.  I then sewed down the center of the additional scrap of no sew elastic, creating 2 slots that the feathers snugly fit into. 

To the center of the headband, using fishing line, I secured a turquoise bead.


Wanting to add more turquoise touches, a ring was made.  Using a plain adjustable ring, a turquoise bead and some gorilla glue, the little Indian girl now had another frugal accessory.


Instead of investing in new shoes or moccasins for  the sake of a costume, I embellished a pair of tan boots we already had.  To the boots, I applied a few dabs of hot glue to the inside of the boot, near the zipper and strung some fishing line through a bead and then through the boot to secure a turquoise bead to each boot.  (All of which I was able to remove without damage to the boots after Halloween).


The shoes, head dress and ring, were all easy to make, cost very little, yet had a big impact.


To finish the costume, I used a long sleeve white tee shirt and the smaller leather trim.  Again, applying hot glue to the sleeves and collar, I added the leather trim.


And, that's how you transform a little girl into an Indian Puggle Wrangler.


Cost of homemade Indian Costume: $22
Cost of creating memories for your child: Priceless.


16 comments:

  1. What a cute costume! My mom always made my costumes, and I loved them all. What a lucky little girl Grace is that you make her costumes! You are so smart in using the boots she already had, I did not even notice that they were not already like that in the first picture. What a cute little tutu as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredibly darling! I was kinda hoping your Riley would have been wearing a matching Indian head dress ;) Hope all is well friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. Riley wouldn't rest until she destroyed whatever we dressed her in...this is why she goes costumeless :)

      Delete
  3. Super cute! I've never tried the tutu with ribbon. I may have to try that version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I think elastic is more sturdy to tie the tulle around but I like the idea of the ribbon tie in the back.

      Delete
  4. Super cute costume!! I'm so glad you shared it. It really turned out fabulous but of course I wouldn't have expected anything less! And that's so true, it can be carried into Thanksgiving as a cute outfit!! If I had a little girl I totally would dress her in it.. maybe I can convince Suraya. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maysem. In the end, I think the larger knots you suggested helped give the tutu the perfect finishing look.

      Delete
  5. Great idea! Love the photo with Riley. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i luv it! you did such a great job and I like how you used everything you already had. I should have done that with cor this year - his halo suit ended up being H-U-G-E on his, haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just so beautiful you're so clever. I would dress her in it for thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shared Halloween photos today too. No shame :). If this is the easiest costume, I don't want to see the hard ones!!!! Great job using available resources, like revamping existing boots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the cutest costume I've ever seen!!! Love the fringe and the touch of turquoise and tulle! Everything is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So adorable! I love all the added details! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all...delete the comment above me...it's rude and it's ugly and it's inaccurate. Now...what I want to say is that Grace's costume is gorgeous and she is the cutest little Indian Princess I've ever seen! Love the tutu and all of the turquoise embellishments. I would have sent you a whole bag of turkey feathers girl! Jacob picks them up all the time down at the creek! What fun costume!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is my kind of tutu! I love the color and she is one pretty little trick or treater.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...